Steve learnt classical violin at school but, in his early teens, on encountering folk rock bands such as Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention and The Albion Band, moved to traditional music and became largely self-taught. He started his public musical career shortly after, playing traditional English and Irish folk on violin, guitar and Appalachian dulcimer in clubs. He was a founder member of the dance band Jack’s Maggot and of the folk rock band Black Fox (with whom he now plays once again after a gap of some 30+ years!). He came across country music quite by accident one Saturday evening over 20 years ago when channel hopping on TV and landing on the CMA Awards!
Peter Knight, the late (and great) Dave Swarbrick and Sandy Denny, Ric Sanders, Dave Cousins, Trevor Watts, Richard Thompson.
Gigspanner, Strawbs, The Home Service, Medeaval Baebes, Trisha Yearwood, Deana Carter, The Mavericks, Pistol Annies.
- Ovation Melissa Etheridge 2078ME-6P
- Ovation Custom Balladeer (USA)
- Ovation Elite LX (USA)
- Ovation Viper
- Gretsch G0522 ‘Sweet Sixteen’
- Crafter TA050 parlour with Fishman Infinity Matrix pickup
- Martin D12X1AE 12 string
- Ovation MM68 Mandolin (USA)
- Bridge Tasman 5 string electric acoustic violin
- Bridge Lyra 5 string electric violin
- Bridge Lyra 4 string electric violin
- Bridge Lyra Octave 4 string electric violin
- Bows by Coda (USA)
- 2 x Marshall AS50D amplifiers
- 1 x AER Compact 60 amplifier
- Joyo American Sound Preamp
- Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
- Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/ Looper
- Boss LS-2 Line Selector
- MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Steve’s guitars are set up by Jon Haire Guitar Services.
Steve’s violins are lovingly cared for by Paul Bridgewater at Bridge Violins.